Wednesday, August 26, 2009

about this blog

Photobucket
{Photo taken by my sister}

I’ve always been enamored with beautiful photography, but I had little exposure to taking photos growing up. I think I started using disposable cameras in middle school, and had a regular cheap point and shoot from high school to college. I took a photography class in high school that I loved and was able to do the same in college. My college course however, seemed to be more of an “intro to how expensive photography is” kind of course- I think that was in part to help weed out those who weren’t serious about photography. It certainly intimidated me, because I have never been one to be able to have much means to provide for expensive interests.

I got my first digital camera in college and had a lot of fun playing around with the lighting, settings, reading the manual, and getting to know more about what made a photo work without having to pay a lot for film and printing. In February of 2008 my husband surprised me with my beloved Nikon D60. It has been an excellent camera for me and I can’t get enough of photography these days.

It seems that digital photography has made photography more accessible for many people and it has become somewhat cliché to see people starting their own small photography businesses without much education or experience. While I can’t say the thought hasn’t crossed my mind to try to do photography, I realize that I have very little formal training, and am not about to try to jump in the game unless I am good. Until I get to that point I just love having great photos of my own family and life experiences.

I love photoshop and I love all that there is to learn about photography and photoshop. I think my background in graphic design and my passion for all things aesthetically pleasing will aid me in my quest to become a better photographer.

With all that said, I suppose this blog is just a blog for me to display my photography, maybe get some feedback, and hopefully see my photos progress, as well as develop my own personal photography style.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think you need a lot of education to be a professional photographer. If you can create images that people love and would pay for, then you can be considered a professional. In fact there are many millionaire business owners that never went to college. Talent and practice can make up for technical classes. Your photos are beautiful! You should offer it to people for a small price and then slowly raise your prices depending on how busy you get.

    ReplyDelete